"I was a stranger and you welcomed me"

To give you a little idea of what Barranquilleros are like, I thought I’d share a few phrases that I hear almost on a daily basis:

“Bienvenida”: (Welcome): Colombians, especially Barranquilleros, are very receptive to foreigners. I can’t avoid getting stares and questions…I stand out just a little [someone explained to me the other day that I’m “blond” even though I have medium-brown hair. Here “blond” is the combination of light skin+blue eyes+ lightish hair]. Anyway, many people have gone out of their way to welcome me to their city and country. On Sunday I spent the afternoon in Soledad, a municipality right outside Barranquilla, visiting a friend who lives there. We ate a pastry in a little bakery, and before I left the young woman behind the counter handed me this:



[Welcome to Soledad! God bless you, and here’s a gigantic hug. From your breadstore, Trigo Pan. Soledad, Atlántico].

“Esta es tu casa”: (This is your home): A variation of “mi casa es su casa,” this offer has been made to me on numerous occasions. Mostly, I’d like to mention my host parents, “mis papás colombianas,” Omar and Gina. I am so blessed by them and the way they’ve taken me under their wing. From the day I arrived in Colombia, they assured me that I was welcome in their home whether temporarily as I looked for housing or long-term as a home-stay arrangement. They explained to me that they have two grown sons who live in the U.S. who have been “adopted” by many kind Americans, and they want to do the same for me, since my family is far away. I’m so thankful to have a comfortable living situation—not only a roof over my head, but an adoptive family for my time here!


Gina and Omar

“Cualquier cosa, a la orden”: (Whatever you need, I’m happy to help.): From the couple beside me on the airplane to families at church to my students, I’m frequently reassured that I have people to turn to. This is really comforting because, as the new girl in town, I’m often clueless. When people say this, I can really sense their genuine willingness to help; it’s not just a meaningless “lemme know if ya need anything.” A quick example is the man on the bus who can tell I don’t know where to get off and asks me where I’m going, then signals the driver to stop so I can get off.

“Mi reina, mi princesa, mi vida, mi corazón, nena, mija”: (my queen, my princess, my life, my heart, honey, my daughter): These are just a few of the pet names that are so common here. I think it’s adorable.

“Te invito”
: (I invite you): This is what Colombians say to when they’re picking up the bill. Here, it’s rare to split the bill when you go out (going Dutch, or “a lo Americano” as they say here). Instead, one person pays for everyone—it’s just assumed that things will more or less even out over time. It’s cool that people don’t stress about being equal down to the penny.

“Te acompaño”: (I’ll come with you.): Yet another way that I feel cared for as the foreigner in Barranquilla; people offer to go with me so that I won’t get lost, overcharged by taxi drivers, etc. I really feel fine about getting around by myself, because I can always ask directions or take a taxi as a last resort, but I’m thankful for people who go out of the way to get me where I’m going.

On an unrelated note, here are a couple of other recent pictures:




[I taught my friend Eileen, who, along with her cousin, owns a chocolate/dessert business, how to make an All-American Apple Pie. They were invited later that day to demonstrate the process on a local TV show!]


[Eating lunch with a few of my wonderful students from my English 3 class]


[My “souvenir” from riding a mototaxi. It’s a well-known fact (to everyone but me, that is) that you get down on the left side because the muffler is on the right…]