There's an internal conflict going on.

No, I’m not talking about the Colombian government vs. the FARC.

The conflict I’m referring to is the war between my sinful human nature and the new life I have in Christ:

“For I know that nothing good dwells in me, that is, in my flesh. For I have the desire to do what is right, but not the ability to carry it out. For I do not do the good I want, but the evil I do not want is what I keep on doing.” (Romans 7:18-19)

Sometimes the desires of the flesh are subtle. Is it wrong that I long for comfort and familiarity, to feel “settled” here in Colombia, to find contentment in a routine of teaching at the university, attending a church, hanging out with friends, serving in the community? Is it sin to desire to travel, learn to salsa dance, and enjoy this cross-cultural experience to the fullest?

I don’t think so.

God has given me this opportunity to live abroad for a year, and I’m sure it brings him joy to see me delight in the richness of a culture he created. I’m slowly adjusting to the routine of life in Barranquilla, and I plan to see, hear, and taste as much of Colombia as I can over the year.

However, spirit wages against flesh as I cling for a sense of stability when everything is new and unfamiliar to me, when I’m stretched far beyond my comfort zone every day.

Do I find strength in myself, in my ability to cope and adapt? Do I find comfort in routine and familiarity? Do I find fulfillment in new experiences?

Or do I depend on God for strength, comfort and fulfillment?

Some verses I’ve been reading recently encourage me to do so:
“I love you, O Lord, my strength. The Lord is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer;my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge.” (Psalm 18:1-2)

“My comfort in my suffering is this: Your promise preserves my life” (Psalm 119:50)

“You are my portion, O Lord.” (Psalm 119: 57)

“I will praise you as long as I live, and in your name I will lift up my hands. My soul will be satisfied as with the richest of foods; with singing lips my mouth will praise you.” (Psalm 63: 4-5)

Cross-cultural experiences are great, and I’m enjoying my time here in many ways. But I’m realizing how crucial it is to be aware of this struggle going on, because the only real, lasting fulfillment I will find is in knowing Christ.