Getting Oriented

I’m back “home” in Barranquilla after spending six days in Bogotá for orientation with the rest of the Colombia Fulbrighters. It was a great week: we were spoiled with a swanky hotel and three free meals a day; our meeting days were jam-packed but we also had some chances to explore Bogotá; and the highlight was spending time with the other Fulbrighters and sharing the excitement of our upcoming year.

Whereas our orientation in D.C. primarily focused on English teaching methods, this week’s seminars were geared to the context of living in Colombia. An American Embassy representative gave us a lecture on safety protocols to follow in a country where armed conflict is occurring. The Minister of Education of Colombia enlightened us on the education system and its bilingual program [apparently by the time most Colombian students graduate from high school, their English conversation skills are limited to the verb “to be.” We’ve got our jobs cut out for us]. An ex-Fulbrighter gave a talk on culture shock and adapting to Colombian customs. We heard a presentation on the demographics, food, music and festivals of the various regions of Colombia [I want to visit ALL of them!]. The Fulbright staff filled us in on the process to receive a visa and Colombian ID card, etc. etc. The days were long but we gained a lot of valuable information.

On Thursday we were given a tour of the city, which included a visit to the Gold Museum, a walking tour of the historic center and a cable-car ride up to Monserrate chapel, where we could look out on the huge capital city.

I’ll admit that when upon my first glimpses of Barranquilla, I kind of wished I could have been placed there. It’s bigger and more interesting, greener and more open, cooler, and the people speak much clearer Spanish. But over the last few days as I’ve heard and read more about Barranquilla and talked with Maureen, the other Fulbright ETA placed there, I’m really excited to be here. Everyone raves about how fun and friendly the people are and how vibrant the culture is. It’s in a great location, a short ride from Cartagena and Santa Marta. Besides, I trust that God placed me in Barranquilla for a reason, and I’m looking forward to seeing the opportunities he will provide for me here.

This Monday will be my first day at la Universidad del Atlántico—I’ll be meeting the English faculty and discussing my role. Stay tuned…

And here are a few pictures from Bogotá:

The view of Bogota from above


The cathedral in La Candelaria, Bogota's historic center


A few of us ETAs at a welcome event