We made it to Mexico!

¡Saludos desde la Ciudad de México! My dad and I arrived yesterday about noon. We had an exciting morning—about a month ago Delta changed our flight itinerary giving us a 45 minute transition in Atlanta. That would be difficult enough, but our first flight was late so we had 20 minutes from the time we got off until our next flight’s scheduled take-off! Better yet, we landed in terminal T, which is the furthest terminal from our connecting flight in terminal E. As we were on the train through the airport, it had some sort of mechanical problem and stalled for about 3 precious minutes. When we got up the escalator to our terminal, we saw that our gate was literally at the very end of the hall. So as we were running through the airport, we heard “Final boarding call for Delta flight 363 for Mexico City. The gate will close in just a moment.” But thankfully, we made it just in time!

We made it to the Sassers’ house without any problems, got settled in, and then went to lunch with Mr. Sasser at a friend’s house. Later that afternoon Dad and I walked around to check out the neighborhood (and because I was trying to keep him from going to bed at 5pm :)). Eventually we both got to bed early, since we’d been up since 3:45 am.

Today, after a relaxing morning here, Dad and I headed out. We took the metro to the Zócalo, the historic center of the city. We were on a mission to find a place to change money, which proved to be trickier than we expected. I asked about 6 times, and we were pointed in 6 directions. Eventually we found one, then met up with Maki, a young Japanese woman who translated for my dad’s mission team last fall (clarification: translated between English and Spanish, and she’s Japanese!). We had lunch, walked around downtown, then headed home. Dad is giving a message this Sunday and I have reading to do for my class next week, so we both have some work to do this evening.

Tomorrow we’ll spend the day with Fabian, a new pastor who our home church will probably be partnering with on future mission trips. Friday is my visit with Karla, my World Vision girl.

So far, it’s great to be here. Dad and I are enjoying spending time together, and it’s fun being back in a big city—there’s so much to see and do! I have such high hopes for my time here, but I’m realizing I won’t be able to fit everything into just 5 weeks. But I’m excited about the experiences I’ll have, especially as I meet my host family on Sunday and begin my course on Monday.